HOME > Profile > TODOROKI, Shin-ichi
光ファイバ工学 画像解析 情報管理
Working on optical fibers exposed with high power laser beam.
Illustration showing (1) the ignition, (2) the propagation, and (3) the termination of a fiber fuse. A fiber fuse is initiated by the local heating of a single-mode optical fiber made of silica glass delivering a few watts of light, which generates an optical discharge running along the fiber to the light source at about 1 m/s (see my portrait). This is due to the temperature dependence of the light absorbance of silica glass, which increases rapidly beyond 1300 K and causes light-heat conversion that generates an optical discharge of several thousands of K. This results in the catastrophic destruction of the core region and the formation of periodic voids (see background photo, its interval is about 20 um.) and the damaged fiber no longer transports light.
PublicationsNIMS affiliated publications since 2004.
- 轟眞市. ファイバフューズ現象. JOURNAL OF PLASMA AND FUSION RESEARCH.  (2018) 505-508
- Quantitative evaluation of fiber fuse initiation with exposure to arc discharge provided by a fusion splicer. Scientific Reports. 6  (2016) 10.1038/srep25366
- Yosuke Mizuno, Neisei Hayashi, Hiroki Tanaka, Kentaro Nakamura, Shin-ichi Todoroki. Propagation mechanism of polymer optical fiber fuse. Scientific Reports. 4  (2015) 10.1038/srep04800
- Hiroshi Fudouzi, Koichi Tsuchiya, Shin-ichi Todoroki, Tsuyoshi Hyakutake, Hiroyuki Nitta, Itaru Nishizaki, Yoshikazu Tanaka, Takao Ohya. Smart photonic coating for civil engineering field: for a future inspection technology on concrete bridge. Proceedings of SPIE. 2017
- Shin-ichi Todoroki, Hiroshi Fudouzi, Koichi Tsuchiya. IoT-powered remote sensing system and portable tools for real-time evaluation of strain imaging sheets affixed to old outdoor structures. Proceedings of SPIE. 2019
- Yosuke Mizuno, Heeyoung Lee, Neisei Hayashi, Kentaro Nakamura, Shin-ichi Todoroki. Plastic optical fiber fuse and its impact on sensing applications . SPIE Digital Library. 2017
- Yosuke Mizuno, Heeyoung Lee, Neisei Hayashi, Kentaro Nakamura, Shin-ichi Todoroki. Plastic optical fiber fuse and its impact on sensing applications . 25th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors. (2017) 103231D-1-4 10.1117/12.2272467
- 水野 洋輔, 田中 宏樹, 中村 健太郎, 林 寧生, 轟 眞市. プラスチック光ファイバヒューズ現象の観測. 光アライアンス. 27  (2016) 15-19
- 轟 眞市. 研究者の目をくらまし続けてきたファイバフューズ. 電子情報通信学会誌. 96  (2013) 441-443