HOME > Profile > TODOROKI, Shin-ichi
- Chief Researcher, Optical Materials Field, Colloidal Crystal Materials Group, Research Center for Functional Materials
- SIP-Social Infrastructure Materials Lab, Detection Technology Team, RCSM-SIP Lab.
- Materials Data Platform Center, Materials Data Analysis Group, Research and Services Division of Materials Data and Integrated System
- Materials Data Platform Center, Data System Group, Research and Services Division of Materials Data and Integrated System
- Research abstract
- Tag cloud
光ファイバ工学 画像解析 情報管理
Working on optical fibers exposed with high power laser beam.
Illustration showing (1) the ignition, (2) the propagation, and (3) the termination of a fiber fuse. A fiber fuse is initiated by the local heating of a single-mode optical fiber made of silica glass delivering a few watts of light, which generates an optical discharge running along the fiber to the light source at about 1 m/s (see my portrait). This is due to the temperature dependence of the light absorbance of silica glass, which increases rapidly beyond 1300 K and causes light-heat conversion that generates an optical discharge of several thousands of K. This results in the catastrophic destruction of the core region and the formation of periodic voids (see background photo, its interval is about 20 um.) and the damaged fiber no longer transports light.
PublicationsNIMS affiliated publications since 2004.
- Shin-ichi Todoroki. Quantitative evaluation of fiber fuse initiation with exposure to arc discharge provided by a fusion splicer. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 6 (2016) 25366-1- 25366-6 10.1038/srep25366
- 水野 洋輔, 田中 宏樹, 中村 健太郎, 林 寧生, 轟 眞市. プラスチック光ファイバヒューズ現象の観測. 光アライアンス. 27  (2016) 15-19
- Mizuno Yosuke, Hayashi Neisei, Tanaka Hiroki, Nakamura Kentaro, TODOROKI, Shin-ichi. Polymer fiber fuse characterization propagation possibilities. LASER FOCUS WORLD. 51  (2015) 49-52
- FUDOUZI, Hiroshi, TSUCHIYA, Koichi, TODOROKI, Shin-ichi, Hyakutake, NItta, NIshizaki, Tanaka, Ohya. Smart photonic coating for civil engineering field: for a future inspection technology on concrete bridge. Proceedings of SPIE 2017, 1016820-1-1016820-6
- Shin-ichi Todoroki. Quantitative Evaluation of Fiber Fuse Initiation Probability in Typical Single-mode Fibers. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers , W2A.33-W2A.33-3
- Mizuno Yosuke, Hayashi Neisei, Tanaka Hiroki, Nakamura Kentaro, TODOROKI, Shin-ichi. Understanding the propagation mechanism of plastic optical fiber fuse. Proceedings of OECC/ACOFT 2014 2014, 670-672